Tuesday, July 25, 2006

don't bother

You know what really gets me? Telemarketers. Yes I know in Canada we're not plagued nearly as much as Americans, but that's not what my beef is. What truly bugs me is when some company that has my business calls me during "dinner time" and starts telling me in a monotone voice about their great new offer. First of all, if you want to sell something, how about sounding like you're excited about it, rather than sounding like you're reading a sheet of paper to a turtle. Second, don't ask me questions designed to trap me into your product. It's rude. I know it's a classic sales technique, but it still makes me angry. Why can't people sell products they believe in? Why can't businesses care about the people they're selling too? Stupid bottom line.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camel - Something in my gene's makes me toy with these people. It's cathartic. Really! Try it.

Tonight I recieved a call for someone else, obviously a wrong # (or was it?!).

When "we" established I wasn't the intended recipient of this persons spiel... Guess what, like a good little sales puppet they dove right in with the delivery anyway. Friggin opporutnist!

Know what I did? I started laughing at them and said something to the effect "Nice try" and THEY KEPT GOING... not phased a bit. Then asked me which level I'd like to participate. "We're done." was my response and I swear to God above they plowed right on through like a Canadian lumber truck and suggested a different level of participation. Silence...

I've found they don't like silence. They go silent too. (But I can still hear them breathing.... creepy)

There must be a rule on their end... "Thou shall not hang up first."

10:38 p.m.  
Blogger Camel said...

The worst thing is that they are probably mostly good human beings stuck in a crummy job. And feel all kinds of pressure from their boss to act like they do. What a stupid industry.

Btw, nice to hear from you. I have to say your blog is more over my head than ever ;).... I read your comments about Timbuctoo...its good to hear that people do commit and are happy...good for you. My situation is just pathetic, I know. I know I sould like the naive mistress saying I am gonna stick it out...but despite the ridiculousness, I do believe he loves me and I do believe I can give him a chance to do what's right. I certainly don't intend to waste my life doing it, but I'll give him a chance...specifically I'll give him until his gf gets a job....when she doesn't need him to support her anymore...

12:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home